Wednesday, July 23, 2008

 

Work Commences

Time to start reattaching the myriad of parts, wires and hoses to get the B back on the road. Here are all of the nuts, bolts and small parts that need to go back on/in the
car -













In addition, of course, there are large parts like the transmission crossmember, engine restraint rod, radiator, intake manifold, carburetor, exhaust system.....

Here is the order I planned out -

1) Trans connections - slave cylinder, reverse switch, speedo drive, starter
2) Crossmember & restraint rod
3) Driveshaft
4) Tighten front engine mounts (including removing/replacing steering rack)
5) Shift lever
6) Intake manifold, carb, exhaust system, air cleaner, fan, alternator
7) Remaining underhood connections - hoses, etc.
8) Radiator shroud, radiator
9) Fluid refills - brake, coolant, gearbox top-off, oil top-off, steering rack
10) Bleed brakes
11) Charge battery

In addition, I need to buy new tires. The front ones are 10 years old, and the rears are somewhat older than that. But I think I will wait until after the 'first drive'.

Last night, I spent some time positioning the car in the garage and jacking it way up in the air.














Now I have plenty of room underneath. Then I hooked up the speedo cable and clutch slave cylinder, and repositioned the transmission (shoving it around with my feet!). I also started to tighten the engine mounts (well, the passenger's side one, until my forearm cramped up from twisting it in unnatural directions!).

Clutch Slave Cylinder -












Speedo Cable (needs to be tightened a bit more) -












Tonight I hope to get the rest of the underneath stuff done (steps 2 & 3 above).

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]