Monday, August 4, 2008

 

Getting Closer....

... to firing it up!

Had an issue with the alternator brackets, i.e., the 'new' engine didn't have them! Tried to use the part of a spare GB-Series engine (I have a couple of blocks 'lying around') but it was too short and didn't fit the newer, alternator holes in the block. Fortunately, I have a buddy locally with a complete '74 (with Sabrinas) and he let me have the needed parts. I've also sourced a set that is being shipped to replace those from my buddy's car. So the alternator is all set.

Next task was to get the new '75 non-catalytic converter downpipe into the exhaust. Had a tough time getting the old one out, but the same buddy has a very nice professional oxy-acetylene torch that made quick work of heating and removing the old pipe and installing the new. So, the exhaust is now hung - although I need to get a nut for the bolt that goes through manifold flange. A Home Despot trip is planned for today.

I also changed the plugs (Autozone was out of NGK's so I grabbed Champions). While there I stocked up on coolant, brake fluid, radiator clamps and gasket seal.

I also got the fan installed, along with the fan belt and some miscellaneous wires and hoses.

I need to finish bolting the exhaust up, and try and get it off of the steering shaft (it's rubbing). Install the carb and figure out what to do with the dizzy - try and wire the existing one or replace with my electronic one. Then the radiator goes back in and the brakes need to be bled. I'm hoping to be able to fire it up Wednesday evening.

Here are the alternator parts from the '74 B -














Alternator installed -















Exhaust back in place -





































All of the pictures can be viewed here -

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/ddibiase/1976%20MGB%20Engine%20Work/

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]