Wednesday, August 6, 2008

 

Good News/Bad News

Well, good news and bad news last night. I finished hooking up everything - throttle cable, the radiator and the various hoses and wires. Decided to see if it would start, while up on the jackstands. Still need to bleed the brakes so didn't want to be
tempted to jump in and go around the block if it started.... ;-)

I needn't have worried - I hooked up the battery and hooked it to the family van. Soon as I did that I noticed that the parking lights are all on - so something is crossed somewhere. Turned the key and the fuel pump started clicking away! Took about 3 minutes of solid clicking to fill the fuel filter - and then another minute for me to notice the growing puddle of gas on the floor! The carb is leaking from the float chamber plug, which is irritating because I had the same issue 2 years ago and replaced the gasket. Guess it dried out again. I also have a seep from the fuel line where it comes up the bulkhead next to the pedal box.

So I guess I am going to remove the carb and have it rebuilt. Or maybe just order the part from Moss, since I have to fix that 'seep' anyways. Rebuilding the carb, I found out this am, will cost $250 and take about 6 - 8 weeks. And the rebuilder won't guarantee that the water choke will work...! So I am going to order the part and fix it myself.

Completed!





































Leaky Carb -

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]