Thursday, August 21, 2008

 

Small Project - Replacing the Shifter Boots

While waiting for the gas line hose, I thought I would do another small project, replacing the ripped shift lever boot. It consists of 2 parts - a rubber boot that seals the hole in the console for the shift lever, and a leather gaiter that makes the whole thing look purdy. Both were torn prior to being removed during the transmission removal.

There is a metal retaining ring that holds both of the boots in place. Several of the bolt heads were badly stripped but all but one came out easily. The last one was a real bear. I ended up breaking the old retaining ring apart and was left with one bolt with a small chunk of the metal ring around it. After much wailing, gnashing of teeth and - yes - cursing, I was able to get the last little chunk of metal off and could get to the bolt with vise grips (the Phillips-head indentation was basically a round hole). Using Vise grips, I thought I was turning the bolt - and I was, until it broke off below the level of the console! Oh well, 3 bolts will have to hold the whole thing together....

Getting the rubber boot and gaiter installed was a 3-handed job. One to hold them in place, one to rotate the retaining ring and hold it in place so the holes line up, and one to insert and tighten the bolt...! Fortunately, I was able to make do with just my two hands.


One bolt left.....





































Old parts, new parts....

























Completed!

Comments:
You could put in some penetrating oil in for a day or two, then drill and get an ez-out to get it out.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]